Installs, maintains, and services telephone lines, DSL, copper and fiber cable, analog/digital/Next generation subscriber carrier systems, cable terminals, protective devices, and related equipment. Troubleshoots, analyzes, and repairs defective equipment. Installs and maintains multiline key systems, PBX’s, IT services and other non-regulated equipment. Coordinates with other departments on service installations and changes to update billing, facility and other company records. Completes all installation and repair-related forms and reports.
Essential Job Functions:
- Installs new services and equipment for customers by installing copper and fiber drops, station protectors and network interface devices in accordance with company standards. Wires new systems using appropriate tools.
- Maintains and repairs existing equipment by using test sets to locate and isolate line trouble. Determines necessary repairs which may include IT networks repairing copper and fiber cable, wiring, station protectors, ground connections, running new wires and replacing jacks, lids and pedestals as needed.
- May install and maintain key systems, PBX’s, IT Services and other non-regulated equipment.
- Repairs trouble in copper and fiber cable plant, drop wire, station wiring, and telephones.
- Works with central office to diagnose and repair trouble in carrier systems, voice frequency repeaters and related equipment.
- Coordinates with other departments on service installations and changes to update billing, facility and other company records. Completes all installation and repair-related forms and reports.
- Responsible to communicate location to Supervisor or designated individual.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic electronic, specification sheets, and circuit diagrams.
- Knowledge of telecommunications plant equipment operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge of computer equipment operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge and understanding of the procedures for installing and maintaining PC hardware and software, telephones, wireless systems, modems, routers, network security and back up techniques.
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Skill in operating service equipment including various hand tools and testing equipment.
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs, and telephone systems.
- Skill in reading and interpreting maps, staking sheets, cable records and operation and maintenance instruction manuals.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to evaluate, test and repair sophisticated equipment.
- Ability to improve or redesign procedures for specific installation/repair problems.
- Ability to effectively function as a team player.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 75 pounds.
Valid Driver’s license.
State of Wyoming low voltage electrical license.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent PLUS two years of telecommunications schooling or equivalent work experience. One to two years experience in telephone plant, construction, installation, operation and/or equipment maintenance also required.
Interested candidates, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.