Ketchikan Public Utilities (KPU) is a state-of-the-art service provider located in Ketchikan, Alaska. With cutting edge Fiber to the Premise, IP TV, Hosted Telephone, and 4G LTE, we are one of the most exciting providers in the country. KPU is looking for a candidate with a demonstrated love of technology, a great attitude, the ability and aptitude to learn, with relevant experience in Information Technology and Telecommunications.
Under general supervision designs, operates, maintains, and documents a telecommunications network; performing skilled duties related to the installation, maintenance, and administration of telecommunications switching systems, personal computers, power systems, servers, routers, and other associated voice, video, and data distribution equipment in the Central Office of the Telecommunications Division.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Designs and implements network infrastructure security measures.
• Customizes tools, scripts, aliases, and environment settings to provide efficient access to subscriber service management.
• Collaborates with engineers and vendors to test vendor hardware for compatibility and other issues; provides feedback to vendors on the operation of experimental or test equipment.
• Administers internet traffic load to maximize efficiency, cost effectiveness, and customer satisfaction; recommends, designs, and implements interconnections to ensure internet traffic efficiencies; recommends applications, equipment, and services to ensure delivery of cutting edge technology.
• Provides top tier technical support and general system troubleshooting via phone and email for data, video, and voice service subscribers; provides technical support to installers and other Telecommunications Division employees.
• Advanced principles and practices of computer science and telecommunications technology.
• Operational characteristics of integrated telephone, data, and telecommunications systems.
• Basic principles and practices of project management.
• Methods and techniques used in troubleshooting various telecommunications issues.
• IP Routing & Switching, SIP Voice, IP Multicast Video, Windows & Linux Systems operation, and general experience with home networking
• Familiarity with FTTH delivery systems, G. fast/VDSL, Legacy TDM & Pseudo Wire, Structured cabling, Power & HVAC systems.
• Diagnose and troubleshoot complex technical problems.
• Adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
• Work independently in the absence of supervision.
• Work under steady pressure with frequent interruptions.
• Prioritize work to meet changing schedules and time lines.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Four years of networking including IP networking. Experience in VoIP, DSL, SS7, or video transport is highly desirable.
To apply for this position or to see the full job description and wage visit the job listing on the City of Ketchikan web site at http://www.ktn-ak.us/jobs.
Resumes received via email without completing the required application process found on the City of Ketchikan website will not qualify as an application
To learn more about Ketchikan visit: www.ktn-ak.us/
To learn more about KPU visit www.kputel.com/