OTT Communications, a division of Otelco Inc. and based in Maine, provides a full menu of business solutions and managed services in not only in Maine, but Western Massachusetts, and portions of New Hampshire as well as a full spectrum of phone and data services to rural communities in Maine, Western Massachusetts, Vermont, and West Virginia. From telephone to high-speed Internet to hosted PBX and managed services, OTT has been connecting your world for more than one hundred years.
The OSP Field Technician position is responsible for service deployment and trouble resolution for a wide range of telecommunications and data services deployed by OTT Communications. OTT values prior experience, but also provides extensive on the job training in the various technologies and techniques used in the field. This position is a great fit for individuals who love to work on modern technology, like to work independently and on the road, and are willing and interested in learning new things.
• Participation in an on call rotation.
• Hosted PBX solution installation, repair, troubleshooting
• Fiber To The Home (FTTH) installation, repair, troubleshooting
• Copper loop installation, repair, troubleshooting
• Installation, maintenance, and fault resolution of telephone lines, cables, subscriber carrier systems, terminal, protection devices
• Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL) and customer-owned equipment
• Diagnose and repair voice frequency repeaters, loop extenders, and cable loading systems.
• Placing and maintaining cable within underground conduit systems as well as direct buried cable using plowing, digging, and trenching equipment.
• Installing and removing aerial cable, including installation of messenger strands and transfer of cable and equipment from old poles to new poles.
• Sets poles using a line truck and digging and bracing equipment.
• Install Central Office feeder and distribution cable.
• Conduct customer site surveys and network assessments.
• Splices, terminates, and maintains copper and fiber optic cable.
• Verify cable counts, and prepares groups of pairs for splicing.
• Transfer service from new or existing cable plant to other cable plant as required by Engineering.
• Completes in detail all required Outside Plant related forms and reports.
• Will perform all OSP/dig safe related duties as assigned by management as time and training permits.
All tools and test equipment required in the performance of required duties are supplied by OTT. Proper care and maintenance of any and all Company property is the responsibility of the employee and will be monitored by his/her Manager.
This position will report to the assigned Manager or Supervisor with regular scheduled work hours of 8 AM to 4:30 PM. Flexibility of scheduled hours is required due to the nature of this position. Availability to work long days, weekends and at times overtime is also a requirement of this position.
Must have a valid driver’s license. A valid Class B CDL driver’s license is a plus.
Must always perform tasks within required work place safety practices.
Must communicate well, both verbally and in writing with individuals, both internal and external to the Company.
Responsible for familiarization and operation of all company supplied test gear and safety practices.
Ability to communicate and present self in a personable and professional manner.
Must possess ability to multitask and manage multiple projects and assigned tasks to completion in an organized and efficient manner.
Ability to work independently or effectively in a team environment.
Will need to perform administrative tasks such as record keeping and documentation with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
Ability to work in different environments including inside, outside, inclement weather, attic, crawlspaces, new construction, existing work environment and on a ladder.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience with IP telephony systems preferred
IP LAN/WAN experience or equivalent training or certification preferred.
3+ years of Telecom networks or OS plant experience is preferred
Knowledge of Outside Plant line construction process is preferred
Must be proficient and demonstrate a familiarity working with and configuring computers, PCs, laptops, and other portable electronic devices.
Experience or ability to be trained to configure and support customer routers.
Must possess a basic understanding of electrical theory and concepts.
Must be able to analyze and solve problems and perform effective troubleshooting.
Preferable consideration will be given for CCNA certification, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or former IT/IS experience.
Prior knowledge of Outside Plant fiber and copper operations and maintenance preferred.
o Knowledge of state and federal safety regulations.
o Ability to use service equipment including but not limited to cable reel trailers, marking materials, pedestals, aerial cable terminals, splicing materials, test equipment, and hand tools.
o Ability to safely and skillfully operate tools, vehicles and construction equipment.
o Ability to read and interpret cable records, maps, staking sheets, circuit diagrams, CAD drawings, Google Earth Pro, and operating/maintenance manuals.
o Ability to read and interpret documents such as cable and network schematics and diagrams.
Good working knowledge of OTT products and services.
Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions.
Ability to communicate while effectively functioning as an OTT team player.
Ability to pay close attention to detail and react to that detail accordingly.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma and training or work experience in and outside plant telephony voice and data practices. Associates Degree in computer technology or other technology focus is a plus.