Performs skilled technical duties relating to the construction, installation, and maintenance of telecommunications, outside plant copper and fiber facilities, voice and data equipment and other associated telecommunications equipment.
Essential Job Functions:
• Installs and maintains aerial and buried service wiring and cables, including new construction splicing, ongoing cable maintenance, and cable pair trouble shooting, repair and maintenance.
• Performs duties related to copper and fiber cable trouble shooting, and line and other facility quality standards.
• Performs skilled duties related to copper and fiber splicing, and preventive cable maintenance.
• Installs plant facilities according to drawings provided by Engineering.
• Installs, splices and turns up FTTX facilities.
• Performs facilities maintenance required for trouble tickets.
• Performs copper and fiber facilities locates as needed.
• Prepares various documents, such as time sheets, work order summaries, inventory usage and request forms, etc.
• Keeps service truck fully stocked with required inventory items to perform job duty
• Performs service orders from the Central Office switch to the customer premises as needed.
• Performs all testing required for installation of POTS and DATA services over copper and fiber optic facilities.
• Cross-trains with Network and Plant personnel to install complex outside plant or central office systems.
Performs required documentation of service orders, and maintenance visits in Elations system.
• Is familiar with all facilities of the local exchange distribution network.
• Ability to navigate and interpret standard telecommunication prints and mapping.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisory personnel.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent, plus three years’ experience (of which one year must be telephone OSP construction) at an OSP, I&R, or Cable Maintenance technician level is required.
• Ability to obtain a low voltage technician license within six months of hire date is required.
• Current DOT physical card is required.
• Knowledge of basic electricity. Requires familiarity with RUS outside plant practices and standards Knowledge of the copper and fiber color code
• Knowledge of line and facility test equipment and copper and fiber locating equipment.
• Skill in operating various construction equipment including, backhoe, cable plow, trencher, etc.
• Actively participate in the team environment that will foster forward thinking, innovation and creativity in order to meet the needs of the company now and in the future.
• Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, personable, professional, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, uses tact and diplomacy.
• Proven analytical skills, work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
• Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically persist until goals are achieved
• Ability to hold a valid Wyoming or Idaho Commercial Driver's License.