Job Summary: Maintains complete and accurate financial and statistical records for Nemont, its subsidiaries and affiliates. Responsible for maintaining accounting records in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
• The accountant is responsible for the preparation, care, and maintenance of the accounting functions of the company. These may include revenue and expense records, general and special cash accounts, accounts receivable, long-term debt, preparation of reports, operating and construction budget control, inventory, and continuing property records and reports.
Other duties may include:
• Maintaining general and subsidiary ledgers by entering various transaction information, preparing journal entries, reconciling general ledger accounts and allocating revenues and expenses among accounts and budgets.
• Reviewing journal entries for appropriateness and clarity and making changes as deemed necessary.
• Applying proper accounting to material ticket charge outs, maintaining records of all materials used and reconciling with general ledger.
• Preparing and posting pertinent information and charges to work orders.
• Preparing, analyzing and reviewing various operating and financial statements to ensure accuracy and conformity with established accounting classifications and reviewing significant variances.
• Preparing or assisting with various reports for RUS, RTFC, NECA, FCC, PSC, Dept. of Revenue, auditors, consultants, etc. Preparing for year-end audit of assigned companies. Maintaining and updating spreadsheets for intercompany rent allocations and leases, etc.
• Reviewing general plant records and depreciation registers to see that they are up-to-date and in agreement.
• Maintaining monthly reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers with the general ledger control accounts to verify that they are accurate and in agreement.
• Reviewing monthly the reconciliation of bank statements and related documents.
• Maintaining continuing property records of all telephone plant in accordance with the Uniform System of Accounts and verifying that related documents are accurate and up-to-date.
• Preparing reports as requested for Board of Directors, regulatory agencies, taxing authorities, General Manager, industrial agencies, management team, etc.
• Determining and reviewing account classification of invoices and forwarding to Accounts Payable.
• Preparing work order records and distributing to proper plant accounts along with applicable overhead charges upon completion of work orders as well as distributing and preparing work order summary records on a semi-annual basis.
• Reviewing tabulation of interest payments and verifying loan account statements from RUS, RTFC, and NRUCFC.
• Verifying accuracy of property tax statements including local assessments, rates, valuations, etc.
• Work with Accounting Manager to prepare financial statements as necessary. Develop and track product costs and profitability reports.
• Prepare product pricing and forecast models.
• Analysis monthly actual to budget variances and prepare report detailing significant variances.
• Prepare quarterly forecasts.
• Develop procedures to increase automation of accounting functions to reduce manual, recurring and duplicate entries.
• Develop and maintain monthly departmental financial reports.
• Completing other tasks as assigned by CFO, Controller and Accounting Manager.
Additional Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required to fulfill job function or as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must have strong computer skills with a working knowledge of Excel and Word and have the ability to learn new programs quickly.
• Ability to work in a teamwork environment is a MUST.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills are necessary.
• Must have ability to communicate and work well with people.
• Must understand principles of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles.
• Detailed knowledge and experience of accounting, statistical and financial reporting.
• Familiarity with telephone utility accounting is desirable but not essential.
• Tax knowledge helpful.
• Able to work with frequent interruptions and still pay close attention to details.
• Works with minimum supervision but be willing to work with others.
Any combination equivalent to the following education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
Accounting degree or other Business degree. Telecommunications and/or Cooperative experience a plus.
• Sits at desk most of working day.
• Stands and walks short distances in office.
• Handles books, papers, and office equipment.
• Must have visual accuracy to post data in small spaces.
• Stoops and bends when using files.
• May be required to lift and carry weights up to 25 pounds.
• Memory for classifying financial data.
• Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
• Ability to grasp “big picture” of financial situation.
• Needs to be self-starter and self-motivator.
• Must be able to plan and schedule work, training if needed, and coordinate work with other departments.
• Overtime hours may be required.
• Out-of-town travel may be required.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required. Nemont reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Please visit our website at https://www.nemont.com to fill out an online application and upload a resume.