Join a growing technology leader in Big Sky Country! We are seeking a skilled Central Office Technician.
Range Telephone Cooperative, Inc. is a local exchange carrier providing telecommunication services to southeastern Montana and northeastern Wyoming. Established in 1953 as a non-profit cooperative, Range currently serves over 6,000 subscribers in eighteen telephone exchanges. Range is also the parent company to three Wyoming based wholly owned subsidiary companies, Dubois Telephone Exchange, RT Communications, and Advanced Communication Technologies.
Installs, maintains, and tests all types of central office and associated facilities such as remote switching units, digital switching and transmission equipment, soft switching, broadband/IP Technology, central office grounding and protection, microwave, T-carrier and/or lightwave systems for trunking, central office power systems and subscriber and trunk carrier systems. Special circuit services deployment and related processes and technology; Including but not limited to DS0, DS1, DS3, SONET, Ethernet technology, DWDM technology. Install, maintain, and test voice mail and digital cross connect systems. Monitors quality of toll, extended area service (EAS), special circuits and other subscriber carrier facilities. Maintains fiber optic and other communications transmission systems. Responsible for preventing service degradation and ensuring service reliability. Monitors trouble and alarm reports; mitigates and clears troubles; Responsible for Central Office facilities/ equipment records. Performs routine inspections of central office facilities, cabling and power connections.
This position may require extensive travel away from the normal reporting location. One of the main functions of this particular role will be to cover area duties in the absence other techs in the department. This technician will also be asked to assist other technicians with projects. Often, these requirements must be met with short notice.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintain and test digital and analog central office equipment, remote units and carrier system equipment. Maintenance is both routine and restorative.
• Maintain fiber optic and microwave transmission systems.
• Install, service, rearrange, and remove central office facilities equipment as required; including installation of racking as well as cable management
• Install and maintain special circuits.
• Install, maintain, and test voicemail and short messaging systems.
• Performs related duties such as making acceptance and lineup tests and installing support structures for power supplies and cable.
• Repair and provide preventive maintenance on central office equipment including power supply equipment, rectifiers, standby generators, batteries, ringing machines, and distribution panels.
• Test, maintain, and evaluate performance of all other central office equipment, including customer line equipment, central office switching gear and common equipment, trunks, and billing and traffic metering equipment.
• Places cross-connections needed to establish, modify, or terminate telephone service;
• Coordinate with connecting companies when establishing, maintaining, and removing special service circuits, including FX lines, broadcast circuits, and data transmission facilities.
• Receive, analyze and clear trouble reports in carrier and all central office equipment.
• Record and forward traffic metering usage data and forwards all recorded billing data to commercial or accounting departments.
• Complete and submit trouble reports and related records to plant clerk, and, monitor and maintain equipment and facilities records.
• Comply with all RUS specifications, industry standards, safety rules and regulations, and company policies.
• Must work effectively as a team player.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
• Inventory new COE and transmission equipment upon arrival from supplier when required;
• Assist in maintenance of buildings and grounds; painting, cleaning, mowing, and removing snow;
• On a regular basis clean central office and other company huts in service area;
• Complete on-call shifts as scheduled.
Send Resume, Cover Letter to:
Human Resources * POB 127 * Forsyth, MT 59327