Casco (dba PEAK Internet) is a service company owned jointly and providing services to both a telco cooperative and an electric cooperative. Casco is also a facility-based ISP with significant plans for expansion. We are looking for a CTO that can help support our existing owners as well as to significantly expand our own network.
Responsible for the overall planning, organizing, and execution of all IT/Central Office/Network-Engineering functions. This includes directing all IT/Central Office/Network-Engineering operations to meet customer requirements as well as the support and maintenance of existing applications and development of new technical solutions, business opportunities and infrastructure.
Located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, Casco Communications, Inc. is the first successful Telephone and Electric partnership, working collaboratively since 1994. Pioneer Connect (formerly Pioneer Telephone Cooperative), serves 10,000 members covering 1300 square miles and Consumers Power, Inc serves 22,000 members covering 2,300 square miles. Our territory covers the Mid Willamette Valley (90 minutes south of Portland) to the Pacific Ocean.
PEAK Internet is a wholly owned subsidiary of Casco Communications, Inc providing Broadband and Internet Services to our mutual members on a retail basis and to our utility partners on a wholesale basis. We currently serve our retail subscribers with a hybrid portfolio of technologies including; xDSL, FTTX, licensed and non-licensed fixed wireless (900/2.4/3.65/3.5LTE/5.3/5.8), dedicated Ethernet, colocation along with various hosted platforms (web and email). We provide wholesale services including hosted email, NOC, help desk, network management and consulting. We are looking to enhance our core service offerings and expand further into the enterprise and additional wholesale markets via our CLEC (Casco) and affiliate companies. We have recently deployed a fiber network serving enterprise customers and are expanding into residential FTTX and MDU markets.
Competitive CLEC, FTTX buildout experience and Network Management highly desired. MCSE and CCNP desired, but not a mandatory requirement.
We have no technical bias on hardware and software as we adopt the “best of breed” principal when designing an application or service. This is a “hands on” leadership position.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Analyzes complex business needs and recommends solutions to the CEO for approval. Executes and implements approved solutions.
• Ensures consistency and maintainability of new and existing infrastructure by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards and procedures for implementing technical solutions.
• Create and enforce written policies and procedures regarding all IT/computer operations.
• Maintain security of all data and systems and provide for reasonable data backups in the event of systems failures.
• Creates and maintains corporate networks, Intranet, and e-mail systems.
• Reviews and coordinates software licensing.
• Sets standards for backup / recovery and documentation of essential network functions.
• Ensures that all expenses incurred do not exceed budgetary limits and all items purchased are valid.
• Plan, review, and maintain all bandwidth and special access agreements with Tier 1 providers to ensure capacity meets requirements.
• Monitor system device capabilities and status.
• Act as a coach, leader, mentor, catalyst and facilitator with Team Members; serve as a resource person for others.
• Directs and prioritizes the workload of subordinate personnel.
• Reviews all designs, code, and plans when applicable.
• Approves all business requirements prior to technical solution.
• Participates in all hardware and software evaluations and maintains vendor contracts.
• Represents Engineering at client or end user meetings when appropriate.
• Directs education programs for the staff.
• Performs as a sales engineer for the company when requested and create applicable business plans.
• Prepares and delivers performance evaluations, salary reviews, conducts interviews and performs other required supervisory functions in cooperation with the HR Director.
• Maintain familiarity with Oregon BOLI laws and regulations.
• Meet and collaborate with affiliate company teams, industry peers and organizations.
• Other duties as required or assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to work in a high stress, multiple priority job.
• Proven ability to lead a progressive IT / Central Office / Network-Engineering group.
• Extensive knowledge of PC’s, network hardware, network topology, operating systems, software, printers, gateways, routers, SAN/NAS, tape backup, UPS, patch panels, modem concentrators, communications protocols, xDSL protocols and standards, ATM circuits, TDM, Active Ethernet, FTTX and GPON standards and protocols.
• May require long hours, “on-call” nights and weekend work.
• Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical people.
• Ability to manage concurrent projects and motivate professional staff.
• Demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies.
• Well developed, professional written and oral communications skills.
• Ability to work effectively as a team.
• Ability to inspire and lead effectively.
• Ability to effectively establish rapport and present information to staff.
• Excellent prioritization and multitasking skills.
• Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Effectively lead the department making critical support and customer decisions when required.
• Excellent deductive reasoning and problem solving skills.
• Must be able to occasionally lift up to 70+ pounds.
• Must have a clean driving record and be able to pass drug screening.
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field or comparable experience.
• Minimum 8 years Telephony experience in Network Engineering or IT.
• Minimum 4 years experience with high availability networks.
• Proficiency in the following technologies and services:
o In depth knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems and server administration.
o In depth knowledge of Windows Systems including Active Directory and Exchange 2003/2007.
o In depth knowledge of server virtualization technologies such as VMware vSphere and ESX.
o Security packages and appliances including Cisco PIX, Watchguard firewalls, Edgewave, Palo Alto and Juniper firewalls, Nessus security scanner, WireShark and ethereal sniffer.
o TCP/IP, NetBIOS, IPX/SPX and NetBEUI, BGP, OSPF, Spanning Tree, Mac authentication, Radius,
o Trango, Cisco, Motorola, MikroTik and other wireless products (802.11a/b/g/n).
o Regulatory compliance; FCC, ARIN, OPUC and CALEA, OSHA.
o VoIP, PABX/IP-PABX (MetaSwitch).
o Network design, maintenance and implementation.
o Network and system security with firewalls, VPN’s and routers.
o Cisco Switches and Routers, configuration.
o Juniper Switches and Routers, configuration.
o Foundry Switches and Routers.
o Calix Hardware and Software.
o Ciena (formerly Cyan) Hardware and Software.
This position offers an excellent benefits package and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with CTO in the subject line.