1. 20% Locates fiber, coax, and copper cables for the purpose of ensuring construction can occur without disrupting service to customers. Tasks may include operating the cable locator, reading staking sheets, flagging or painting locations, attending construction meetings, working with contractors, tracking buried cable, etc. Monitored by Plant Operations Manager, reviewing service orders daily, periodic fieldwork appraisals, and by consideration of feedback from customers.
2. 25% Repairs troubles found on the trouble report for the purpose of restoring or providing service to customers. Tasks may include receiving the reports, traveling to the site of the trouble in a timely manner, assessing the problem using the appropriate equipment, taking the corrective action, interacting with the customer in an appropriate manner, cleaning up the work area and leaving it neat, recording the work performed on the appropriate company paperwork, etc. Monitored by the Plant Operations Manager on an ongoing basis by reviewing trouble reports and through feedback from customers
3. 25% Splicing fiber, coax, and copper cables and terminating for the purpose of ensuring service is provided to customers from the Central Office to the customer premises in the most effective and efficient manner possible. Tasks may include maintaining knowledge of cable counts, reading a schematic, maintaining knowledge of codes for installing protectors, ONTs, power supplies and grounding, etc. Monitored by the Plant Operations Manager on periodic basis and by feedback about the service from customers.
4. 10% Performs underground construction of new cable plant to include installing inner duct, main line fiber optic/copper cable, and drop cable (fiber/copper) for the purpose of installing to residence, business, or OPX services. Tasks may include repairing or replacing of existing underground facilities to include fiber and copper in a manner that would afford the least amount of service outage while maintaining exceptional service quality, etc. Monitored by the Plant Operations Manager by on-site inspections and through feedback from customers
5. 10% Installs inside wiring and jacks for the purpose of connecting services for new customers or moves, ads, and changes for existing customers. Tasks may include installing and terminating wiring and other plant related items, interacting with Central Office equipment and peripherals, interacting with the customer, cleaning the work area after completion, completing the necessary company paperwork, etc. Monitored by the Plant Operations Manager by reviewing service orders, periodic field work reviews, and feedback from customers.
6. 5% Installs inside wiring and jacks for the purpose of connecting services for new customers or moves, ads, and changes for existing customers. Tasks may include installing and terminating wiring and other plant related items, interacting with Central Office equipment and peripherals, interacting with the customer, cleaning the work area after completion, completing the necessary company paperwork, etc. Monitored by the Plant Operations Manager by reviewing service orders, periodic field work reviews, and feedback from customers.
Maintains the truck and its inventory for the purpose ensuring the truck continuously operates in good condition with sufficient inventory to provide timely service to the customer. Tasks may include performing preventative maintenance checks, completing some of the preventative maintenance items, reporting and arranging for other maintenance or repairs to be made, maintaining a record of maintenance performed, reviewing the stock on the truck, adding or subtracting stock as appropriate, maintaining appropriate inventory records, etc. Monitored by the Plant Operations Manager during periodic reviews of inventory and maintenance records and personal inspections of the vehicles.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned by supervisor will be performed in order to address unexpected situations or needs that may arise.)
This position requires the ability to complete work on an individual basis and to participate as a member of a team to complete tasks and engage in problem solving activities. Also, must relate well with others since information has to be obtained on occasion from others and informal training provided. Negotiation, persuasion, and diplomacy are required to deal with customers.
Most duties are assigned and are consistent from day to day with the performer planning and arranging tasks for completing duties. Problem solving is accomplished independently most of the time and requires extensive industry knowledge. Decisions are consistently reviewed by the supervisor. All purchase decisions are referred to the supervisor.
IMPACT OF POSITION:
Successful completion of essential job tasks ensures proper usage of labor, materials, and equipment, supports internal functions, and enhances customer satisfaction. Good decisions minimize loss to the company and enhance company success. Most errors are easily detected in the next phase of operations, while others could result in loss of customers, increased liability, and substantial monetary effect.
Daily phone and face-to-face interaction with employees in the department to perform job functions while weekly contact with others in other departments is routine.
Customers are contacted face-to-face daily to provide services while vendors are contacted monthly.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
High school diploma, required.
At least five years on the job, desired. Minimum of two years experience.
Valid AZ driver’s license and a good driving record, required.
Valid commercial driver’s license and a good driving record, required.
Computer, phone, small hand and power tools, phone and CATV testing equipment, trenching equipment, plant equipment, and trucks.
Frequent bending, carrying, manual dexterity, squatting, twisting, and turning, and lifting up to 40 pounds independently, required.
Occasional visualizing of the computer screen during the day, required.
Training within the company successfully completed within one year, required.
Ongoing training as required by the company.
Office environment and field environment in all types of weather.
Occasional overnight travel, required
Frequent travel by vehicle, required.
Occasional travel by air, required.
Occasional overtime, required.
Frequent on call rotation, required