Are you ready to start a career at a rapidly growing telecommunications company?
If you bring the willingness to learn, interest in technology, and ability to problem solve we are committed to helping you realize your potential! Consider joining TDS Telecom as a Field Service Technician who supports the installation, repair, and maintenance of our service offerings in either Middleton or Waunakee, WI.
How do I know if I'm a fit?
An ideal candidate for this job is someone who's eager to find a solution to technical problems. Imagine your Wi-Fi being down or your TV service not coming through – are you the go-to person in your home to roll up your sleeves and troubleshoot these issues? Now imagine a career where you get to use those talents every day and have a hand in keeping our community connected with top-tier TV, phone, and internet service.
Field Service Technicians travel to customer premises when they have technical difficulties. These are called "trouble" tickets and make up a portion of a Technician's day. They also are responsible for assisting the installation process at new customer homes and repair/maintenance of equipment at existing customer homes. Each day is different because each customer, ticket, and location is different (aka you won't get bored!)
Our Field Service Technicians come from a wide variety of backgrounds:
- Alarm Systems
- Appliance Installation
- Device Repair
- Technical Support, and more!
**Please note: We can hire this position as a Field Service Technican or Field Service Technician-Network. Requirements for each position are listed in the qualifications section. We will assess applicants based on skills set and years of relevant experiences.**
- Assists with and performs on-site installing, troubleshooting, testing, splicing, repairing, and maintaining telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video/CATV/DBS, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other TDS products & services for new and existing customers. Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Locates, identifies and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged. Keeps orderly log of all locate requests in our exchange area. Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Assists with and provides troubleshooting support techniques and corrections. Responds to “trouble” dispatches.
- Assists with and provides support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells TDS products and services to customers.
- Gain working knowledge of RUS Standards and Grounding practices associated with splicing and maintenance of outside plant facilities and equipment.
- Completes all related paperwork in a timely manner such as forms, timesheets, material usage, and special data requests. May require working on project teams. Maintains work equipment and company vehicle. Stocks vehicle and notifies appropriate person when supplies and materials are low.
- Promotes safety and accident prevention as day-to-day part of the normal job functions and attends safety meetings as required. - - Follows safety policies and procedures, applies safety training and follows Department of Transportation requirements as they apply to the job. Responsible for routine vehicle maintenance & adherence to TDS Vehicle Safety Policy.
- Maintains inventory including purchasing, receiving, stocking, and tracks regulated and non-regulated equipment and materials. - - - Provides equipment maintenance, operating instructions, and diagnostics as needed.
- Utilizes MS Office Suite, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, and other TDS applications to ensure accurate facility assignment and verification. Utilizes staking sheets and cut sheets. Assigns facilities and updates system records and maps.