Colorado Valley Telephone Cooperative, Inc. (CVTC) was established in 1953 and is located in rural Central Texas, midway between Austin and Houston. We offer our members and customers local and long distance telephone service as well as high-speed Internet and broadband services. We are one of the largest companies in Fayette County and are committed to giving back to our community.
CVTC is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team to fill the entry level position of a Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician.
Under supervision, performs standard GIS work while developing professional proficiencies. Applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of GIS tasks requiring the use of analysis, interpretation and logical reasoning. Supports the designs and engineering process by planning and preparing drawings for construction of new, overlay, and removal or rearrangement of existing fiber optic and/or copper cables and conduits.
Essential Job Functions
• Applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of GIS
tasks requiring the use of analysis, interpretation and logical reasoning.
• Utilizes computer-aided design (CAD) software to prepare layouts and detail drawings.
• Maintains accurate field notes that will support project timelines, by designing and
providing well defined staking sheets.
• Analyzes and creates staking sheets and updates “as built” staking sheets in Navigator.
• Demonstrates proficiency with design and understating of fiber optic and copper cable
• Demonstrates proficiency with cable numbering in reference to color codes, binders, buffer
tubes and assignments/planning.
• Provides an accurate inventory of copper, fiber and duct facilities.
• Processes, submits and files permits to City, County and State governments.
• Assist Field Engineers by performing various duties outside at customer locations.
• Communicates clearly with contractors.
• Skill in operating a forklift.
• High school diploma or equivalent plus two to four years of relevant experience.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Broadband Deployment Installer/Repairer experience preferred.
• Excellent writing and speaking abilities.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of computer-aided drafting principles and practices.
• Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
• Skill in prioritizing and completing multiple work assignments.
• Ability to utilize CAD software.
• Ability to utilize Navigator, Google Earth and NISC software.
• Ability to effectively function as a team player.
• Exceptional critical thinking ability.
CVTC offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package as well as a challenging work environment. CVTC is also a drug free workplace, conducting pre-employment and random post-hire drug screenings. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit for confidential consideration a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Colorado Valley Telephone Cooperative, Inc., Attn: Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 130, La Grange, TX 78945. E.O.E.