Under general direction, the purpose of the position is to provide technical support and supervise
the design, development and maintenance of the Geographical Information System (GIS) mapping
Reports directly to Engineering Manager with functional responsibility to Operations
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
• Setup directories, files, database and other settings associated with a telecommunications
• Design form layouts with appropriate fields and pick-lists.
• Create graphic symbols as needed and define their appearance, layers and relationships to the
• Serve as a liaison for the GIS department with other departments, divisions and outside
agencies, including programming contractors and consultants.
• Provide instruction and guidance to user departments in design development, programming and
debugging new or modified software.
• Improve the service to and knowledge level of all GIS users.
• Import and export both spatial and non-spatial data into and out of the GIS database.
• Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies,
and priorities for the GIS Division.
• Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods
• Coordinate with staff to identify and resolve problems, assign work activities, monitor
workflow, review and evaluate work products.
• Analyze, evaluate and maintain GIS computer system including developing master conversion
plans, integration, program capability, training policy and programming development.
• Evaluate other department and division GIS needs; assist in development of attainable
conversion goals including assignments of tasks, review of completed modules.
• Manage and participate in the development and administration of the GIS division annual
budget, project and forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies.
• Participate in the development and implementation of programming standards and operating
procedures for all GIS computer equipment, including software and hardware, and evaluate and
determine computer software needs.
• Provide administrative support to assist CAD Records/911 Supervisor and other staff in the
completion of their duties and responsibilities, provide training and direction to other support
staff as needed.
• Evaluate staffing training needs, and schedule in-house and external training as necessary.
• Attend and participate in seminars, stay abreast of new trends and developments in GIS.
• Other company related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Possess a thorough knowledge of computer hardware and software, system analysis techniques,
data processing procedures, database administration, software licensing, system design, and system
• Ability to implement organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and
evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
• Knowledge of computer science theory, principles, practices and their application to a wide
variety of programming and computer operations services.
• Experience in programming languages and software.
• Able to develop and recommend cost-effective technical system improvements.
• Ability to accurately evaluate and analysis of hardware and software.
• Interpret and apply pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
• Have the ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of
proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• SQL Database Experience Preferred.
• E911 Experience Preferred.
• Ability to perceptively evaluate complex specifications, proposals, contracts and vendor
• Maintains comprehensive knowledge of proven developments in GIS technologies, hardware and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing an AS or BS degree, or
major in geography or engineering.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to use hands, to sit, lift up to 20lbs., stoop, bend, reach with hands/arms
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
• Requires the ability to speak, read, write, see, and hear to perform essential duties of the
job. Must communicate clearly in English.
• Must be able to perform and complete multiple tasks.
Telephone; FAX, calculator, computer, monitor, printer, hardware and software packages, computer
peripheral equipment i.e. mouse and keyboard, Microsoft Suite.
• Will be asked to provide 39 months driving record. Position requires insurability under GRTI
• Will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
As a matter of company policy, all employment is on an at-will basis, meaning that employment shall
last for so long as mutually agreeable. Either the employee or the Company may terminate the
employment at any time with or without cause.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified enrolled Gila River Indian Community Members,
other Indians, and non-Indian spouses of officially enrolled Community members in accordance with
Tribal Employment Rights Office (T.E.R.0.) Ordinance (No. GR-02-09, Gila River Indian Community).
Gila River Telecommunications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, subject to
Indian Hiring Preference.