Department: I/R Department and Network Department
Reports To: I/R Manager or Network Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
This position provides expertise on all IP products and services. There are four areas that the IT Specialist will specialize in; VoIP, routing, firewalls and security. The IT Specialist is responsible for design, test, implementation and maintenance practices that ensure the efficient and reliable operations. This individual works closely with other team members and departments to coordinate activities and projects to support WRT’s Network and customer’s private networks.
Essential Job Functions
• Design, test, implement and maintain layer 2 switching.
• Design, test, implement and maintain layer 3 routing infrastructure.
• Design, test, implement and maintain digital and VoIP voice systems.
• Design, test, implement and maintain firewalls.
• Design, test, implement and maintain security controls.
• Design, test, implement and maintain IOT devices.
• Analyze data and make recommendations for equipment changes based on analysis; including forecasting, trending, and capacity projection in all IP related infrastructure.
• Maintain a record of engineering solutions, such as detailed engineering requirements, detailed reference design, and detailed integration test plan documents and results.
• Take personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieve results with good fiscal policy.
• Adapt to the evolving and changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities of WRT and the industry.
• Promote organizational mission and goals by influencing others to act in support of ideas, programs, or causes.
• Display an ongoing positive commitment to learning and self-improvement; desiring and making an effort to acquire new knowledge or skills for work.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of routing and switching platforms including; BGP, MPLS, ISIS, OSPF and other routing protocols in an ISP and customer environment.
• Knowledge of network security (ACL s, IPsec Tunnels), firewalls (Security Appliances), NetFlow, IPSLA, and VPN technologies in an ISP and customer environment.
• Knowledge of security controls to prevent monitor, log, detect, and mitigate information security threats in an ISP and customer environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (continued)
• Knowledge of server management, authentication, and monitoring technology including; SNMP, ACS, RADIUS, AAA in an ISP and customer environment.
• Knowledge of VoIP application and SIP protocol in an ISP and customer environment.
• Must have and maintain CompTIA A+ certification
• Must have and maintain CompTIA Network+ certification.
• Must have and maintain the Cisco CCNA certification.
• Must have or be willing to obtain and maintain the Cisco CCNP certification.
• Must have or be willing to obtain and maintain ECMS1, ECMS2 and Cisco Meraki Solutions specialist certification.
• Ability to think analytically and to problem solve.
• Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as schematics, blueprints and circuit diagrams.
• Ability to pay close attention to detail.
• Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments.
• Ability to evaluate, test and repair sophisticated equipment.
• Ability to improve or redesign procedures for specific installation/repair problems.
• Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.
• Ability to effectively function as a team player.
• Ability to be self-motivated, enthusiastic and passionate about WRT’s sales culture.
• Ability to think progressively and innovatively while quickly grasping and synthesizing new ideas.
• Ability to maintain positive attitude.
• Must be willing to work outside normal hours and on call as required.
• Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and be insurable by WRT’s insurance carrier.
Education and Experience
Information Technology degree or related degree or two years or more related work experience and CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, and CCNP certifications are required.
Reporting location will be identified in the position posting but in all cases the employee must reside within WRT service area.
Apply on-line at www.westriv.com or send applications/resume and applicable certifications to Michelle Perreault, WRT Human Resources Manager, PO Box 467, Hazen, ND 58545 by 5:00 p.m. on August 26, 2019.