Danville Telecom is seeking a Multifunctional Outside Plant Technician.
Danville Mutual Telephone Company is a 116 year old telecommunications company based in Danville, Iowa that offers its employees medical, dental, vision, group life insurance, 401K, short and long-term disability, paid vacation/sick and paid holidays.
The Company: Danville Mutual Telephone Company (Danville Telecom) is Telephone, Internet, and broadband provider in the Danville Iowa exchange area as well as a Fiber optic Broadband, Internet and VOIP provider in Burlington, West Burlington, Ft Madison, and Keokuk areas. Danville Telecom is known for the great care we take with our clients and employees alike. We believe in earning a customer’s continued business by treating them to the service they expect while growing our services offerings to meet the changing needs and wants of our customers.
The Position: We’re looking for a Multi-Functional Outside Plant technician.
Requirements: The Multi-functional Outside Plant Technician's primary responsibilities include but are not limited to; installation and repair of customer premise equipment, ability to troubleshoot Danville's network and equipment to ensure timely isolation and resolution of problems, and perform line-work/ground-work as necessary. Must demonstrate the ability to work with Danville Telecom's outside plant team members and our customers. May require overtime, including evenings, weekends and holidays. Must live within a 30 mile radius of Danville.
• Installs, repairs, and maintains phone lines, DSL/Fiber circuits, broadband network equipment and customer owned equipment.
• Answers and responds to customer calls regarding service orders, trouble-tickets and general service information regarding internet and associated products
• Splices, terminates, and maintains cable, including fiber-optic cable. Identifies, counts, and prepares groups of pairs for splicing.
• Assists record upkeep and corrections on mapping system information when discrepancies are discovered.
• Locates underground cable plant and utilities in support of construction, rebuilds and existing upgrades.
• Marks located utilities according to set standards. Responsible for interpreting system maps (paper and electronic) to accurately locate underground facilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
• Knowledge and experience in Telecommunications/Information Technology and related fields
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
• Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
• Ability to recover from, or adjust to, misfortune or setbacks.
• Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
• Ability to use thinking and reasoning skills to solve a problem.
• Ability to read and follow work instructions, procedures and policies.
• Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED required.
• 2 years of technical school or related work experience in Telecommunications/Information Technology
• Driver's license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequent walking, sitting, standing, carrying, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. The employee must frequently lift, pull, push and /or move items up to 50 pounds. Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. Regularly required to talk and hear. Work inside, around moving objects, and with vehicles and machinery with moving parts.