Responsible for all aspects of Gila River Telecommunications Inc. (GRTI’s) network systems including software and hardware. Recommends, implements, and maintains network architectures (LAN and WAN). Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. Provides input into developing the budget and is capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments.
Provide top-level network architecture, design and operational support for a wide variety of networking technologies, including routing and switching, optical networks, wireless networks, and voice over IP. The Network Engineering Manager is responsible for provisioning and repair of network infrastructure, including the monitoring and diagnosis of network performance, and resolution of network-based incidents and requests reported to the IT service desk, especially complex incidents requiring research and diagnostics. This role is also responsible for mentoring and training Network Administrators and Network Engineers as needed.
The Network Engineering Manager reports directly to the General Manager.
• Support development of long-range and short-range technology planning; design and construction of the Gila River Telecommunications Inc. (GRTI) network.
• Provide information and support for capital budgets, expense budget and work plans. Monitor adherence to approved budgets and work plans.
• Create and maintain network documentation for use in planning, troubleshooting and training.
• Attend various meetings with management, departments, and vendors to ensure company objectives are met. Participate in company planning processes.
• Maintain relationships and coordinate activity with equipment manufacturers, contractors, suppliers and other service providers on system projects, as needed.
• Works with CO technicians in troubleshooting and in test and turn-up of circuits/trunks.
• Oversee the transport network architecture, technology design and maintenance of the company's long-haul, and metro optical networks.
• Direct the design, development and integration of border, gateway and internal routing, and associated protocols.
• Utilize industry best practices to keep the network at the highest level of system security.
• Design, implement, maintain, operate, monitor, and report needed information for DNS, DHCP, and related broadband functions.
• Review, approve and enforce proactive and preventative policies and procedures of the entire core network system to ensure the network is reliable, maintainable, scalable and flexible.
• Ensure the reliability, performance, security, efficiency and effectiveness of all assets for routing, traffic, engineering, servers and business networking.
• Collaborate with Sr. Leadership and Executive Leadership Teams to identify business requirements and communicate network capabilities and concepts.
• Act as a subject matter expert and advisor for network infrastructure including effective communication of strategies to the larger organization.
• Travel to industry conferences, meetings, and industry peer locations as appropriate.
• Manage a team with overall responsibility to:
o Train, or assist in training, team members in S.O. procedures needed to ensure timely and accurate performance of their job duties.
o Make job safety a primary objective in all duties, and ensure employees work in a safe and efficient manner.
o Share and listen to ideas, keep commitments, and address problems and issues constructively.
o Perform basic supervisory duties, including performance evaluations, identification of training needs, follow-through on employee inquiries, and resolution of issues.
o Be accountable for ensuring one on ones are completed on time, and seek to appropriately reward employees for their contributions.
o Motivate team members to do their best to achieve company goals and objectives, and to act in accordance with GRTI Employee Handbook.
o Consistently and fairly perform a role in staffing and employee development processes in accordance with the GRTI Employee Handbook.
o Pro-actively support the identification and mentoring of Community talent in formal Apprenticeship Programs and other mentoring programs.
Note: This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. She/he will be required to follow any other instructions to perform any other duties as requested by her/his supervisor.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Direct hands-on expert level experience with design and optimization of data and voice communication protocols and services to meet the goals for a secure, highly available, scalable, and stable network environment.
• Advanced knowledge of WAN routing protocols and services, to include BGP, EIGRP and SD-WAN.
• Proficient in enterprise and carrier level capacity planning and monitoring solutions to ensure optimal performance over time and resource availability.
• Skilled in WAN/LAN hardware and software technologies and methodologies.
• Experience with emerging cloud technologies, solutions and migrations.
• Knowledge of how to convert audit compliance requirements into a technical solution.
• Proven experience in effective team leadership and collaboration.
• Strong, well -developed, communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with peers and managers and personnel outside of the department.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently under pressure in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment, communicate effectively, work well with others, use productive work methods, exercise sound judgment, display initiative, and innovation on the job
• Extensive knowledge of enterprise network infrastructure, including routers, switches, firewalls & wireless access points, Extensive knowledge of network protocols and services, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, BGP, & OSPF, Extensive knowledge of how Windows, MacOS X, and Unix/Linux operate in a large (>10,000 node) networked environment. Excellent verbal, analytical, project management, and problem-solving skills. Ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience. Ability to supervise staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, electrical engineering, or related field of study. Additional years of equivalent education or related experience in the technology industry may be considered in lieu of degree. • Generally requires 15+ years of related experience with minimum 10 years of experience in a role demonstrating strong technical, quantitative, and analytical skills in a corporate environment. • Minimum 6 years experience managing network engineering teams with various engineering core competencies including transport, routing, traffic engineering, servers, and business networking. • Cisco Certifications (CCNP, CCIP, CISSP or CCIE) desired.
Note: Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would enable the applicant to satisfactorily perform and meet the duties required of the position may be considered in meeting the stated minimum requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to use hands, to sit, lift up to 20 lbs., stoop, bend, reach with hands/arms
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Requires the ability to speak, read, write, see, and hear to perform essential duties of the job. Must communicate clearly in English.
• Must be able to perform and complete multiple tasks
Telephone; FAX, calculator, computer, monitor, printer, hardware and software packages, computer peripheral equipment i.e. mouse and keyboard; Microsoft Suite. Tablets, Wireless devices.
▪ Will be asked to provide 39 months driving record. Position requires insurability under GRTI insurer requirements.
▪ Will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
As a matter of Company policy, all employment is on an at-will basis, meaning that employment shall last for so long as mutually agreeable. Either the employee or the Company may terminate the employment at any time with or without cause.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified enrolled Gila River Community Members, other Indians, and non-Indian spouses of officially enrolled Community members in accordance with Tribal Employment Rights Office (T.E.R.O.) Ordinance (No. GR-02-09, Gila River Indian Community).
Gila River Telecommunications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, subject to Indian Hiring Preference.
Network Engineering Manager