Performs required work in connection with the installation, repair, servicing, and testing of all types of central office, radio carrier and related equipment. Installs, modifies and makes repairs to system hardware and software by performing the following duties as assigned by Network Services Supervisor or Network Services Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Communicates with customers, business contacts and all Company employees in a professional and courteous manner.
• Keeps abreast of technology changes and industry regulations as related to telecommunications.
• Receives and analyzes trouble reports, pinpoints cause and corrects the trouble. Records trouble, efforts exerted and results achieved and forwards to supervisor. Records and forwards information on traffic usage metering equipment. Assists in construction, installation or removal of some types of network equipment.
• Responsible for maintaining all Network Services equipment, carrier equipment, and associated items.
• Tests, maintains and evaluates performance records of all other equipment of the Central Office System, such as Central Office Host and Remote Switches, transmission equipment, fiber optic terminals, digital loop carriers, DAC’s Systems, Alarm Systems.
• Possesses a specific knowledge of electrical circuitry and its applications. Does all major emergency repair work as required. Has a working knowledge of all Network Services equipment and its direct application to the systems outside telephone plant, both buried and aerial.
• Performs repairs and preventative maintenance on central office equipment, including power supplies, rectifiers, standby generators and batteries, power distribution panels and fuses. Completes and forwards associated records to proper department.
• Performs acceptance testing of manufacturer installed Network Services equipment. Performs other duties such as building and/or installing support structures for power supplies and cable, packing Network Services equipment for shipment, etc.
• Coordinates with connecting company when necessary in establishing, maintaining and removing special circuits, such as foreign exchange lines, broadcast circuits, data transmission facilities, etc.
• Must be able to perform work on company provided DSL service, video service, and customer support of LANs and WANs.
• Operates, maintains, and installs network equipment, routers, switches, IP based soft switch, and devices to provide connectivity to other networks, Internet, intranets and any other data networks.
• Operates, maintains, tests and installs video equipment, maintains headend, tests video and works with IPTV middleware and Set-top boxes, supports video encryption system and works with other companies that transports streams.
• Operates, maintains, and installs support system for e-mail, web pages, DNS, DHCP, and authentication security.
• Responsible for internal and external network support for Internet and other data system related services.
• Assists technicians in trouble shooting and setup of services offered by NDTC.
• Responsible for contract support regarding data networks, camera systems and PBX and SIP based networks.
• Responsible for application support for all data systems.
• Knows all related records pertaining to Network Services and plant equipment.
• Monitors performance of the automated system backups.
• Performs scheduled system maintenance during slow hours which would include hours outside of the normally scheduled workday and work week.
• Assists in establishing and implementing policy procedures for the administration of data systems.
• Submits time, mileage, and gas tickets, material and equipment charge outs, as well as material credited-in and any other clerical forms or other required procedural work.
• Ensures that vehicle, tools, and working equipment assigned are properly used and kept in good working order and that any required repairs are promptly reported. Complies with all traffic laws, safety rules, regulations and safe practices while operating the vehicle assigned.
• Ability to take after hours call out for trouble calls
• Performs On-Call duty when implemented and assigned by the Company.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Proficient knowledge in Company’s telecommunications systems pertaining to position.
• Possesses excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and comprehend job related documents/manuals, specialized information to effectively perform job duties.
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions.
• Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments
• Ability to pay close attention to detail
• Applies common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
• Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, and concisely both verbally and in written form.
• Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner in order to maintain good internal and external customer relations.
• Ability to think creatively to produce new concepts/ideas; looks beyond standard solutions.
• Demonstrates dependability through good attendance and adherence to schedules/policies.
• Ability to accept responsibility for conduct/actions.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts as applicable for job duties.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions in an individual or group setting.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality guidelines in accordance with company policy.
• Ability to work independently, function effectively as a team player, and project a positive attitude.
• Good working knowledge of Company products/services, policies and procedures.
• Ability to travel overnight for training, meetings, and conferences.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate’s degree (A.A.) in Information Technology or two-year degree in Telecommunications; 5 years equivalent related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience demonstrating proficiency in the Company’s current telecommunications systems. Must be able to read and interpret circuit diagrams and technical documents relating to the equipment being supported. Must be able to use voltmeters and test equipment used in isolating trouble in the Company’s IP and switching networks.
Required Education/Experience as indicated above plus working knowledge of routing and switching equipment, IT certifications, ISP (Internet Service Provider) experience and knowledge of UNIX systems, soft switch platform, and legacy switching network technology.