The Engineer verifies all designs for fiber, copper and/or coax outside plant upgrades are in conjunction with long term company objectives. He/She ensures all outside plant aerial, buried and underground additions are designed and staked using industry standard construction specifications. He/She oversees the posting of records to the correct data sources in a timely manner. He/She is responsible for research and procurement of all easements, right-of-ways, and permits. He/She is capable of performing thorough field inspections but coordinates with the independent contractor and/or company personnel and performs all activities in a manner that will produce both Company and Rural Utilities Service (RUS) levels of expected results.
Essential Job Functions:
Include, but not limited to:
• Plans and prepares detailed drawings and staking sheets for new construction, removal or rearrangement of existing aerial or underground lines, cables, and conduits
• Organizes and files necessary paperwork and staking sheets
• Ability to locate Outside Plant Facilities, when requested
• Forklift Experience
• Prepares detailed construction and installation drawings and estimates equipment, labor, and material costs
• May supervise inspection of work orders and verifying tabulation of contractor staking sheets
• Ensures accurate and up-to-date facility CAD maps
• Attends various meetings with management, departments, and vendors to ensure company objectives are met
• Participates in inter-departmental planning meetings to coordinate and communicate activities related to the successful completion of projects
• Makes job safety a primary objective in all duties
• Frequent travel required to project areas and job sites
• Material Ordering procedures for projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of telecommunication construction and engineering practices and principals
• Knowledge of PMT products, services, policies, and procedures
• Skill in reading and interpreting technical documents and forms including work orders, staking sheets, and schematics
• Skill with Time Management
• Ability to communicate with customers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to make sound business decisions using experience and available information
• Ability to work within a team environment
Education and Experience:
• Educational requirements: A Bachelor of Science degree with course emphasis in Engineering, Electronics or Telecommunications. A minimum of five years of experience working as an Engineering Technician may be substituted for the degree requirement. In addition to the degree, five years of outside plant design experience is required.
• Be familiar with personal computer operations and the basic use of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office Suite, GEO, Atlas, Crystal Reports.
• Able to read and understand the maps, staking sheets, database fields, continuing property units, tax information and RUS units to ensure correct and accurate data posting or to assist technicians and contractors in completing work.
• Demonstrates good work standards and decision making skills, completing assignments using accepted procedures, and ensuring complete confidentiality of records.
• Ensures customer satisfaction by seeing that needs are met in a realistic time frame and is able to deal with customers in a pleasing and efficient manner under difficult circumstances.
• Must have a valid State of Idaho driver’s license.