The Outside Plant Engineer position would supplement the OSP Engineering Department with regular Field Engineering requirements while maintaining project completion guidelines for yearly facility build-outs, line extensions, and general maintenance. This position would require significant time traveling to the job sites as well as time in an office environment. The position requires developing accurate project plans, managing projects from inception to completion, ensuring efficiency and completion on time and within budget. Communicate and coordinate with internal departments, as well as construction contractors, as necessary to guarantee project deadlines and commitments are met on time. Travel to job sites for documenting on-going job status updates and resolve any conflicts or issues that may arise. Ensure projects are maintained in OTELCO’s project tracking system, completed, and closed with great accuracy.
Essential Job Functions:
• Responsible for designing and developing outside plant equipment installation, modifications, upgrades and construction activities.
• Supports Designs of line setup and staking specifications, and cable and line extensions.
• Conducts job costing activities and prices out job components.
• Assist in the planning, analysis, and recommendations in support of new construction of outside plant network structures and facilities. Included, but not limited to, Fiber-To-The-Premise, Copper/DSL, and Hybrid Fiber Coax technology.
• Supports/Oversee permitting with State, Local and Federal agencies.
• Responsible for obtaining right-of-way use approval.
• Responsible for acquiring field data.
• Responsible for maintaining all contractor as-built changes and assisting the Mapping department with updates to drawings.
• Willing to travel within and outside OTELCO’s current footprint, when called upon.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience with Google Maps/Earth, AutoCAD, ESRI, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite
• Knowledge of standard practices in Telecommunications
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of construction services, ordering and installation of the following: Fiber, Telco, Coax, and general Aerial/Underground construction supplies.
• Attention to detail is paramount
• Ability to read and interpret legal land descriptions and easement agreements
• Ability to work independently on multifaceted projects
Position Title: Project/Field Engineer Department: Engineering
Reports To: OSP Engineering & Mapping Manager FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
• Strong verbal and written communication skills to present facts clearly and accurately in graphic form
• Experience working to tight deadlines
• Excellent analytical skills
• Must be able to work overtime as required
Education and Experience:
• 1-5 years of Telecom project management experience preferred
• Knowledge of Telecom construction
• High School diploma
• Associate degree preferred
• Knowledge in CAD, ESRI and Microsoft Office