OSP Field Specialist provision, install, test, and repair a variety of complex and normal applications of Central Office, IP and Customer Premises equipment. This position may include performing any and or/all the job functions listed below as well as other tasks assigned by Director. Interface and train OSP Technicians and other work groups required. Must be a part of an on-call rotation.
Essential Job Functions:
• Install and repair complex VOIP, Data and IP applications as well as traditional ATM and TDM products
• Identify, test and load CPE software flash loads when and were required
• Routine installation and repair of customer premise equipment for the delivery of all voice, data and IP services
• Troubleshoot and repair point-to point and dedicated circuits as required.
• Wire and terminate network and CPE equipment
• T-1 span and circuit construction, testing and maintenance
• Fiber preparation, installation, testing and maintenance
• OTDR familiarization and field operation
• Locating and marking existing Otelco underground facilities for the Dig Safe program
• Install and repair equipment in a neat and orderly manner, maintaining quality workmanship and a neat, clean work area that will meet “central office quality and standard requirements”.
• Perform test acceptance and complete documentation on new equipment additions and/or augments at Central Office and co-location sites
• Schedule and perform alarm audits jointly with NOC in Central Offices and co-location sites
• Work with NOC personnel to perform High Profile installs and Complex service issues resolution
• Familiarization and use of all company supplied test gear as well as install and test hardware and firmware upgrades to all CLEC test gear where required
• Familiarization and use of all safety practices in the workplace
• Work well one to one with customers and possesses excellent interpersonal skills
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Perform special projects as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to understand and comprehend technical concepts and functions with minimal Manager interaction. Knowledge of telecommunications industry standards and digital switching technology and IP a must.
• Experience in working with other local and long distance exchange carriers, ISP’s and network providers to trouble shoot network issues.
• Understand basic electrical and electronic concepts. Thorough knowledge of company products and services a must.
• Must have experience working with business network equipment, including routers, switches, and firewalls.
• Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
• Skill in installing, repairing and maintaining Central Office and Customer Premises equipment.
• Skill in using mechanical and electric power tools.
• Skill in analytical thinking and problem solving.
• Skill in operating and configuring computers.
• Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to pay close attention to detail.
• Ability to evaluate, test, and repair sophisticated equipment.
• Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.
• Ability to effectively function as a team player.
• Ability to organize and manage projects.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent as well as specialized training in voice, data, and IP. At least two years field experience in those disciplines required.