The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for the overall design and performance of the entire BTEL network. You must have extensive experience in advanced routing, switching and network virtualization and will develop creative solutions that stand up to rigorous review from peers and technology leaders.
This is an exciting, fast-paced and dynamic environment that requires people who can identify, design and deploy the latest network technologies in creative ways. We are looking for network leaders who think for themselves and must have the ability to see multiple solution paths and have the desire and drive to get to the best possible answer.
• Handle a variety of projects with a high degree of complexity
• Planning and designing the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems and providing Tier III support.
• Researches, designs and advocates new voice/data technologies, architectures, and products that will support business requirements for the enterprise and our customers.
• Identify, test, diagnose, and resolves communications systems performance problems in a multi-technology environment.
• Interact with vendors to resolve communications equipment and network system issues
• Designs technical solutions and coordinates system build activities for voice/data connectivity and configures related network routers, switches, voice gateways, servers, and other equipment
• Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors
• Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance
• Works closely with management in developing procurement requirements and service contracts by providing technical support during contract bidding, negotiation, and award processes
• Provides general systems administration training to the Network Operations team
• Serves as subject matter expert in firewalls, routing/switching, traffic load balancing, remote access solutions, and broadband technologies
• Proactively communicate about opportunities, expectations, timelines, risks, and issues
• Performs knowledge transfer to other members of the Network Operations team and other departments.
• Responsible for driving network-related maintenance activities like software and hardware upgrades
• Test and validate all new hardware and connections for proper configuration and performance
• As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to after-hours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all necessary equipment
• Ability to quickly triage network issues and bring to resolution by assessing staff inputs, and creatively implementing workarounds or alternative methods
• Ability to drive R&D projects and develop solutions to complex engineering problems
• Provide secure network technology solutions to all facets of the business
• Be a driver in BTEL’s OSS/BSS NISC auto provisioning and workflow processes
Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 10 years network engineering experience
• Cisco, Calix and Metaswitch experience is a plus or any other related devices, like Juniper, Adtran or Genband
• VSAN and VMWare vSphere experience is a plus
• Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of network standards – DNS, TCP/IP, SNMP, SIP, DHCP, IPv6, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, ACL’s, Firewalls and Wireless Technologies
• Desire and ability to quickly learn new technologies, think independently, see multiple possibilities and get to the best answer
• Demonstrated ability to work productively with little direct supervision and a sense of ownership.
• Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to provide the "Fischer Price" explanation of technology for non-technical managers, directors and above
• Strong documentation skills for network diagrams, test plans and other related records
• Solid background in network administration and architecture
• Organizational and mentoring skills