The Staff Accountant duties include, but are not limited to, supporting of financial functions of Alluvion, Gila River Asset Management (GRAM) and Gila River Broadcast Company (GRBC). As well as accurate and timely processing of accounts payables for GRTI and all subsidiaries while maintaining required support for annual and USAC audits.
This position will be primarily responsible for maintaining accurate financial records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). This will include maintaining complete and accurate general ledger (GL) account details by completing appropriate journal entries, completing comprehensive analysis, performing monthly reconciliations of all GL and bank accounts and preparation and analysis of Income Statement and Balance Sheet.
The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Accounting Manager.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Accounts Payable for GRTI and all subsidiaries
- Ensure all invoices processed for payment have required purchase orders for GRTI and all Subsidiaries.
- Accurately code all invoices to ensure costs are expensed in accordance with Part 32
- Maintain and track A/P accrual log, monthly expense allocations and reversals
- Coordinate with vendors on accurate invoicing and payments.
- Track all pending and recurring invoices to ensure all A/P payments are done within invoice payment terms
- Promptly close A/P at month end to meet monthly closing deadlines and process all A/P accruals
- Accounts Receivable for NTS & GRBC
- Post daily checks received by NTS and/or GRBC into MACC
- Review AR Aging and assist NTS/GRBC with collections, clean-up
- File and pay TPT and 720 Excise tax monthly and quarterly for GRTI and all subsidiaries.
- Financial analysis for Alluvion, GRAM & GRBC
- Track expenses and revenues vs. budget and analyze-reforecast fluctuations.
- Analyze information by creating ad hoc reports
- Complete with month, quarter and year end close for Alluvion, GRAM & GRBC
- Prepare and post re-occurring journal entries
- Labor distribution transactions
- Reconcile GL accounts
- Bank reconciliations
- Adjusting journal entries
- Process depreciation entries
- Prepare non-consolidated financial statements
Statement of Cash Flows (direct method)
Back up the Senior Accountant on payroll functions as needed
- Back up the Senior Accountant on preparing monthly consolidated financials as needed
- On monthly basis reconcile the Material Inventory sub-ledgers to the ledger, verify accuracy, offer recommendations for corrections, promptly report issues to the Accounting Manager
- Ensure GRTI Employee Handbook is understood and followed in a consistent and respectful manner.
- Other duties as assigned
Note: This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. She/he will be required to follow any other instructions to perform any other duties as requested by her/his supervisor.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to generate sound analysis using information at hand
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments
- Strong computer skills including advanced MS Excel, MS Word, and computer based accounting systems (experience with MACC preferred)
- Knowledge of regulatory telecom environment
- Effectively communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner
- Effectively function as a team player
- Ability to research and resolve issues independently
- Highly organized with special attention to details and deadlines
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions
- Good basic math, listening, verbal and written communications skills
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Exercise judgment and decision making giving special attention to GAAP: consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
- Maintain strict confidentiality guidelines in accordance with company policy
- Able and willing to continue business skill development
- Work and contribute successfully within a culturally diverse work environment
- Consistently demonstrate high degree of integrity, honesty and accuracy
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
One year of Part 32 Accounting experience highly preferred. Two years of project accounting experience is preferred. One year of construction accounting preferred.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP accounting practices, processes and principles and the ability to apply them
- Experience with monthly close processes including bank reconciliations, GL account reconciliations and preparation of financial statements
- 5+ years proven experience in full cycle accounting through financials
- Working knowledge of business, finance and accounting fundamentals
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience preparing and reviewing financial statements with relevant commentary
- Strong Excel capabilities; knowledge of computerized general ledger systems
- Experience in general ledger accounting including creation and processing of journal entries
- Knowledge of advanced database file management
Note: Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would enable the applicant to satisfactorily perform and meet the duties required of the position may be considered in meeting the stated minimum requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to use hands, to sit, lift up to 20 lbs., stoop, bend, reach with hands/arms
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Requires the ability to speak, read, write, see, and hear to perform essential duties of the job. Must communicate clearly in English.
- Must be able to perform and complete multiple tasks.
Telephone; FAX, calculator, computer, monitor, printer, hardware and software packages, computer peripheral equipment i.e. mouse and keyboard; Microsoft Suite.
- Financial Background Disclosure may be required for Subsidiaries.
- Will be asked to provide 39 months driving record. Position requires insurability under GRTI insurer requirements.
- Will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
As a matter of Company policy, all employment is on an at-will basis, meaning that employment shall last for so long as mutually agreeable. Either the employee or the Company may terminate the employment at any time with or without cause.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified enrolled Gila River Community Members, other Indians, and non-Indian spouses of officially enrolled Community members in accordance with Tribal Employment Rights Office (T.E.R.O.) Ordinance (No. GR-02-09, Gila River Indian Community).
Gila River Telecommunications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, subject to Indian Hiring Preference.