Plans, designs and implements all facets of a Layer 2, Layer 3 network architecture.
Essential Job Functions:
• Designs networking and special circuit installations by studying customer orders, plans, manuals, and technical specifications; ordering and gathering equipment, supplies, materials, and tools; assessing installation site; preparing an installation diagram.
• Establishes voice and data networks by running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cables; installing telecommunications equipment, routers, switches; establishing connections; establishing connections and integrations; following industry standards; activating remote access tools; coordinating with contractors.
• Collects and analyzes information from plant records, remote office site surveys and records, departmental networking drawings, databases and building drawings.
• Reads and interprets product information; engineer solutions which best meet technological and financial requirements.
• Verifies service by testing circuits and equipment; identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
• Maintains network and wire line drawings; label routing equipment and cables; record equipment configurations and specifications.
• Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages; testing network backup procedures; updating documentation.
• Provides assistance to Central Office Dept. by investigating and analyzing system design maintenance issues.
• Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns; answering questions.
• Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
• Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
• Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Plans, maintains and monitors batteries and charging equipment for the CO and remote offices.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of Cisco routers and switches
• A complete understanding of the OSI model.
• Working knowledge of IP-based networks.
• Working knowledge of Linux, installation, configuration and trouble shooting.
• Working knowledge of Carrier Ethernet (CE) transport designs preferred.
• Working knowledge of TDM, OTN and Ethernet protocols preferred.
• Basic understanding of fiber optic transport and WDM principles preferred.
• Must have experience and working knowledge in the Microsoft Office suite to include Word, Excel and Visio.
• Experience creating clear, concise user documentation.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills.
• Ability to multi-task, grasp conceptual ideas, strong problem-solving skills, and above average organizational skills needed.
• Ability to analyze and document problems, troubleshoots, relay information among groups, and serves as a liaison between users and technical personnel.
• Ability to manage time to ensure project deadlines are met.
• Mist possess ability to understand guidelines set forth by the Telecommunication Engineering Manager.
Education and Experience:
• Two-year technical degree in electronics, networking or telecommunications required; four-year degree in engineering preferred.
• CCNA required; CCNP preferred.
• 5+ years of practical experience