Telephone Service Technicians will perform required work in connection with the construction, maintenance, operation, and servicing of telephone lines, IPTV, instruments, and related equipment, including Key Systems, PBX, broadband, wireless, satellite, security and surveillance cameras, locating and splicing fiber optic and copper cable. Reporting location, assigned department and supervisor are subject to company needs determined by management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Receives service orders and necessary equipment used in installing, upgrading, downgrading or changing a customer's telephone service or equipment.
• Provides exceptional customer service to all customers, external and internal.
• Installs, removes or makes changes in residential and business telephones, including key and PBX equipment per service order.
• Maintains residential and business telephones from customer trouble reports, including key systems and PBX Equipment.
• Installs, removes or makes changes in dial-up, broadband, satellite and wireless Internet service per service order.
• Installs and maintains security and surveillance cameras and related equipment.
• Installs and maintains IPTV and related equipment and instructs the customer on the operation of the related IPTV equipment.
• Installs drop wire to house. Installs wires to base of telephone instrument. Installs ground protection from unwanted electrical surges.
• Installs jumpers on the frame in all un-manned Central Offices, remotes and DLC's.
• Installs concealed telephone wire and other equipment at buildings under construction.
• Performs all installation techniques necessary to insure neatness, and concealment where possible, of wires leading to telephone, broadband and IPTV instruments.
• Reads and interpret maps, staking sheets, cut sheets.
• Responsible for placement of new facilities, performs construction and maintenance splicing of copper and fiber cable.
• Responsible for locating of existing facilities.
• Informs dispatcher of completed service order so records are updated.
• Repairs all types of trouble on cable plant, drop wire, station wiring, telephones and Internet service. Under supervision of CO technician, diagnoses and repairs, if possible, trouble in carriers, voice frequency repeaters, and all associated items.
• Makes trouble tickets and defective plant tickets.
• Maintains strict confidentiality in all areas of company business in accordance with company guidelines and policies.
• Will be required to climb poles, using pole climbers and body belts.
• Performs On-Call duty when implemented and assigned by the Company.
• Responsible for maintaining vehicle records and timely submitting monthly mileage, vehicle condition and daily inspection reports.
• Ensures truck, tools, and working equipment assigned are properly used, kept clean and in good working order and any required repairs are promptly reported to appropriate personnel.
• Ensures assigned vehicle is stocked with appropriate equipment/materials to provide timely service to the customer.
• Complies with all traffic laws, safety rules, regulations and safe practices while operating the vehicle assigned.
• Submits material and equipment charge-outs, as well as material credited-in and any other clerical forms or other required procedural work in a timely manner.
• Submits sketches and measurements and makes staking sheets when assigned and submits maintenance Job Order form to the Engineering Department when laying temporary lines out.
• Participates in company and industry training to maintain up-to-date knowledge of current technologies.
• Constant travel by vehicle and occasional overnight travel is required.
• Operate machinery (bucket truck, forklift or skid-steer, snowmobile, etc.) upon request.
• Proficient knowledge of Company products/services, policies and procedures.
• Promotes the sale of Company products, services, and features and educates customers on the use of equipment.
Associate’s degree in Electronics/Telecommunications Technology (preferred); Associate’s degree (A.A.) in related field or diploma from a one or two year technical school in related field; or one to two years of applicable experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficiency with computers and basic networking and troubleshooting experience is required. Experience and knowledge in residential networks and entertainment technologies are desired.
• Competent knowledge of basic electrical and electronic circuitry.
• Competent knowledge in software applications pertaining to position (MS Excel/Word, Auto Desk Design Review, Norstar Mgr., etc.)
• Communicates effectively, clearly, and concisely both verbally and in written form.
• Communicates with customers, co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Possesses excellent customer service skills in order to maintain good customer relations.
• Works at a sustained pace and produces quality work which is accurate and thorough.
• Applies common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
• Reads and interprets documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Comprehends technical topics and specialized information pertaining to job duties.
• Possesses strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Functions as a team player and projects a positive attitude.
• Demonstrates dependability through good attendance and adherence to schedules/policies.
• Accepts responsibility for conduct/actions.
• Calculates figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages.
• Can speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Possesses the ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.