Promoting Rural Broadband Networks and Applications
Applications Due December 1
Smart Rural Community® (SRC) promotes rural broadband networks and applications that communities can leverage to support innovative economic development, education, health care, government services, public safety and other vital public functions.
SRC recognizes top-performing broadband providers and their communities through its Showcase Awards; offers grants for innovative technology deployments in the Collaboration Challenge program; and provides educational resources and programming.
- Thirteen Rural Broadband Providers Earn National NTCA Smart Rural Community® Showcase Awards
- NTCA Announces Smart Rural Community Grant and Showcase Award Recipients
- NTCA Awards Thirteen Smart Rural Communities with National Awards
- Smart Rural Community Field Trip to Maine With Senator and Commissioner
- What "The Sopranos" Teaches Us About Rural America
The annual SRC Showcase Awards are presented to NTCA members to recognize their extraordinary achievements in promoting rural broadband networks and applications in rural communities. Awards are based on the demonstrated use of these technologies to support innovative economic development, education, health care, and other vital public functions.
The SRC Collaboration Challenge is an annual opportunity for rural broadband providers to obtain grants to deploy broadband-enabled solutions within their community. Matching-fund obligations require local communications providers to recruit the participation of other local leaders.
FEATURED SMART RURAL COMMUNITY PROJECT
The nation's first Virtual Living RoomSM opened in McKee, Ky., in October 2017 to enable U.S. service veterans to access broadband-enabled U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) telehealth and other online services for no fee at publicly-accessible locations. This project blends rural technology, VA resources, and local support to encourage veteran use of advanced medical technologies. The Virtual Living Room saves travel time and costs while enabling connections to skilled physicians and other providers in the VA medical system.
- Navigating Partnerships for Rural Broadband
- Steel Sharpens Steel: A Conversation About Regional Thinking For Rural America
- Anticipating Economic Returns of Rural Telehealth
- Beyond Rural Walls: Identifying Impacts and Interdependencies Among Rural and Urban Spaces
- Beyond Rural Walls: A Scholars’ Conversation About Rural and Urban Spaces
(abridged presentation transcript)
- Conquering the Challenges of Broadband Adoption
- The Smart Rural Community
The Smart Rural Community Advisory Council (SRCAC) supports the SRC initiative by providing the technical and business expertise essential to the implementation of the program. The SRCAC includes representatives from the communications, power utility, education, agriculture, public safety, health care and rural economic development industries. Certain NTCA member committees, as well as one NTCA staff liaison, are also represented on the council.