September 16, 2018
(Seattle, Wash.) – Day one of the NTCA 2018 Fall Conference welcomed approximately 1,400 attendees from around the nation to get the conference started with preliminary sessions and committee meetings before the opening general session on Monday.
Here are a few of day one highlights:
NTCA Rural Broadband PAC Prestige Breakfast
- The NTCA Rural Broadband PAC Prestige Breakfast was held for contributors of $1000 and above.
- PAC contributors discussed the importance of telcos showing their support for the PAC.
- As an incentive, any company who turns in a prior approval onsite at the Fall Conference will receive an “I approved” sticker and a drink ticket for the Tuesday Networking Reception.
- Strategic planning for long-term success, improving board/manager relationships and advancing the culture of the Board of Directors were hot topics during the roundtables.
Women in Telecommunications Industry Roundtable
- Camille Christiansen, senior manager at Moss Adams, and Jennifer Logsdon, CEO of Centerra Corp., led this session that focused on women getting involved in STEM fields and advancing to leadership roles.
- Topics discussions included:
- Changes in occupations for women in the last 50 years.
- Barriers to women networking and how networking is different for men than women
- How women are taught to be perfect and men are taught to be go-getters without fear.
- What women have sacrificed, such as time, fashion and family, to advance in a career.
- The challenges of teaching the next generation what it takes to compete and how to prove you are capable and qualified.
- Supporting and motivating other women to take on challenges and to not fear applying for jobs that you don’t fully qualify.
- The session concluded with NTCA CEO Shirley Bloomfield encouraging the women to get involved in committees, to run for board positions, and to apply for positions of leadership.
Day one ended with the FRS Cornhole Tournament and the Welcome Reception. All was abuzz as members shared stories and networked.
Share your stories and experiences with us on social media by using hashtag #ntcafallconf.
Day two highlights not to miss:
- Opening General Session with NTCA President John Klatt, NTCA CEO Shirley Bloomfield, Jamie Clarke’s The Adventure of Business and The Augmented Human with Ted Schilowitz of Paramount Pictures.
- Telco track: The Convergence of Wired and Wireless Networks
- Director track: Gadgets and Gizmos for the Greatest Generation
- Rural Telcos in the #MeToo Era (only for Legal Seminar participants)
- FRS Fundraising Event: Emerald City Trapeze