Peoples Rural Telephone Cooperative

McKee, Ky.

Area Served: 542 square miles

Population: 18,460

Technical Highlights: The company services 95 percent of its customers with FTTH, which supports service up to 100 Mbps. The remaining 5% is served by ADSL2, but is in-line for planned upgrades by April 2015.

Education

Facing the state’s highest unemployment rates and acute poverty, area students utilize the county’s Owsley Schools Snow Bound Project, a pilot program aimed at reducing the impact of winter weather on education by enabling access to the Kentucky Virtual High School for high school courses and other on-line learning opportunities. PRTC also partners with Jackson County Schools and the public library to provide free community technology and broadband training.