ISP Engineer is responsible for projects and tasks related to the transport and central office engineering. This position includes responsibility for design, and planning for maintenance, improvements, capacity and upgrades for the relevant systems. The ISP Engineer is responsible for executing projects to augment and enhance the network. This position reports to the Portland, Maine or New Gloucester, Maine office. Travel to Otelco properties in other states is required.
The Network Engineering team is responsible for designing, planning, and operating complex network and voice systems to ensure optimal efficiency and cost-effectiveness through utilization of industry-best practices.
Essential Job Functions:
• Plans, designs, and coordinates complex network augments and rearrangements to the existing network.
• Responsible for maintaining spares inventory, network redundancy and sufficient capacity in transport and access network systems
• Responsible for working on central office facilities, utilities, infrastructure, and related systems
• Provide technical assistance and support to other teams for major systems improvements.
• Mentor coworkers in new technology
• Responsible for network availability, capacity planning and reporting
• Manage customer issues by setting expectations and meeting/exceeding those expectations to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction
• Create detailed engineering plans and drawings for transport/access networks and peripheral 3rd party touch points for Central Office, Hut and Cabinet environments.
• Interpret general network diagrams and site survey information to determine placement of new equipment, parts required for installation, cables type and connections, power equipment needs.
• Create engineering work packages including scope of work, material lists, provisioning details, installation details, network diagrams and installation notes.
• Participate in safety program and in ongoing development of company-wide policy.
• Responsible for performing central office installation and repair work.
• Work with customers with complex services, troubleshooting, and interoperability testing.
• Participate in an on call rotation
• Must be able to work off shift hours.
• Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of rural and competitive telephone operations and subscriber services preferred.
• Experience with central office installation, maintenance, and repair work
•Experience managing and installing DC power systems
•Experience managing and installing SONET network systems
•Experience managing and installing DSL and Fiber Access equipment
•Experience with DWDM, OTN, and Carrier Ethernet technologies
• Experience with design, planning, documentation and maintenance of fiber and coaxial plant
• Working knowledge of Ethernet, IP, FTTx, ATM, xDSL, T1/T3 or GR-303 required
• Strong understanding of various engineering practices and procedures required.
• Optical network installation and implementation experience required.
• Knowledge of current architectures being deployed Metro Ethernet, GPON, DWDM
• Strong knowledge of Adtran/Calix access and transport systems a plus
• Knowledge of industry standards and best common procedures
• Knowledge of company products and services.
• Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of general office procedures.
• Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, copier, fax, two-way radio and telephone systems.
• Problem solving and network troubleshooting skills
• Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to work with numbers and calculations and create budgets and forecasts.
• Ability to pay close attention to detail and schedules.
• Ability to effectively function as a team player.
• Ability to work nights and weekends when required
• Travel throughout the northeast frequently required
• Occasional travel beyond the northeast required
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience:
Education: 2 or 4 year technical degree preferred, high school diploma required.
Experience: Minimum of five years of relevant technical experience.