Maintain Gila River Telecommunications Inc. (GRTI) Voice and IP data infrastructure. Work with the Network Engineering Supervisor to develop long and short-range technology plans, as well as help design and operate networks. The Network Engineer implements, monitors, troubleshoots and maintains the company’s networks to insure high availability and optimal performance while providing professional, courteous and timely technical support.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
• Support long and short-range technology planning, and aid in the design and construction of GRTI’s networks.
• Research and recommend products and services that help keep GRTI’s customers at the forefront of the available technology.
• Work closely with other departments.
• Provide support for developing annual budgets.
• Contribute as a member of the project management team for capital projects as assigned by the Network Engineering Supervisor.
• Evaluate new technologies and service offerings for continued company development and expansion based on design requirements, costs, network impact, and business needs.
• Attend various meetings, as requested by Network Engineering Supervisor with management, departments, and vendors.
• Coordinate activity with equipment manufacturers, contractors, suppliers and other service providers on system projects.
• Design circuit plans and originate work orders from word docs and work orders, as requested, including ASR’s.
• Install and repair data circuits to maintain customer satisfaction.
• Troubleshoot, test and turn-up circuits/trunks.
• Communicate with subscribers (residential and business) and the Community (Tribal Government) on equipment installations, maintenance, and service.
• Respond, manage and record troubles until resolved as requested.
• Coordinates switch upgrades and network software patches with vendors and field personnel.
• Ensure current copies and backups are completed on a timely basis on all digital switches.
• Dispatches as necessary when resolving internet system problems for prompt action results.
• Perform Tier3 switch and transport technical support.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Understanding and ability to implement advanced routing protocols (i.e. BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, etc.).
• Proficient knowledge of voice and data equipment including Soft switch switching platforms, feature servers, STPs, session border controllers, gateways, routers, firewalls, and switches.
• Proficient knowledge of voice and data networks including TDM, SS7, GR-303, VoIP, MPLS, Ethernet, QOS, VPN, SIP, Pseudo Wire, DWDM, CWDM, GPON, IP switching, IP routing, and WiFi.
• Skill in reading and interpreting technical documents, schematic diagrams, and general technical information.
• Proficient in project management for small to medium size projects.
• Knowledge (certificate and credits) of IP telecommunications industry, plant operations, technology, network, and customer premise equipment and procedures.
• Knowledge and thorough understanding of the design and operation of a telephone system, digital central office switching, fiber optic facilities, subscriber carrier, subscriber loop plant and circuit design.
• Knowledge of, or ability to learn applicable Federal, Tribal, and State laws and codes, and industry practices, relative to the safe operation of all activities involved in network operations.
• Understanding, or ability to learn, RUS specifications, industry standards and regulations, and data compliance requirements.
• Ability to communicate with customers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to efficiently organize work schedule to ensure timely completion of projects and maximize productivity.
• Ability to make sound decisions using information at hand.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Should have a good written command of the English language.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret computer reports and other documents such as maps, staking sheets, operating and maintenance instruction manuals.
• Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, various software programs).
• Effectively communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Effectively function as a team player.
• Ability to research issues and resolve them such as network or equipment alarm reports, CALEA requests, etc.
• Highly organized with special attention to accuracy, details, and deadlines; ability to work with frequent interruptions.
• Good basic math, listening, verbal and written communications skills.
• Use good judgment and reasoning skills to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Maintain strict confidentiality guidelines in accordance with company policy.
• Work and contribute successfully within a culturally diverse work environment.
• Consistently demonstrate a high degree of integrity, honesty, and accuracy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications or related technical field (BSEE, BSEET, BSCE, BSCS) is preferred. High School Diploma (GED or High School Equivalence Certificate) is required.
• Two to five years’ experience in telecommunications planning and designing voice and data networks in an IP network setting.
• Additional certifications are a plus, such as Network +, CCNP/NA Routing & Switching/Data Center/Security, Calix System Specialist, Metaswitch Certified Technician, etc.
Note: Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would enable the applicant to satisfactorily perform and meet the duties required of the position may be considered in meeting the stated minimum requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be able to use hands, to sit, lift up to 20 lbs., stoop, bend, reach with hands/arms
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Requires the ability to speak, read, write, see, and hear to perform essential duties of the job. Must communicate clearly in English.
• Must be able to perform and complete multiple tasks
Will be asked to provide 39 months driving record. Position requires insurability under GRTI insurer requirements.
Will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
As a matter of Company policy, all employment is on an at-will basis, meaning that employment shall last for so long as mutually agreeable. Either the employee or the Company may terminate the employment at any time with or without cause.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified enrolled Gila River Community Members, other Indians, and non-Indian spouses of officially enrolled Community members in accordance with Tribal Employment Rights Office (T.E.R.O.) Ordinance (No. GR-02-09, Gila River Indian Community).
Gila River Telecommunications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, subject to Indian Hiring Preference.