Position Summary: The Network Engineer is responsible for all assigned trouble tickets, circuit provisioning, customer orders, and maintenance activities during normal working and after hours. The Engineer serves as frontline communication with customers to ensure network needs are being taken care of in a timely and courteous manner. Responsible for provision circuits across the network and assisting in resolving fiber optic and IP networking equipment difficulties. Responsible for understanding Layer 3, BGP, and OSPF routing protocols.
- Responsible for monitoring the NebraskaLink network, equipment, and customer circuits.
- Answers all customer inquiries and trouble tickets assigned by NOC personnel.
- Create and maintain Design Layout Records for new customer circuits and documentation for customer circuits in designated software databases.
- Create and maintain effective customer relationships, with customer satisfaction as the ultimate goal.
- Escalate trouble tickets to internal personnel and partner companies to correct service interruptions as needed.
- Responsible for provisioning of circuits across the NebraskaLink network.
- Assist customers to resolve fiber optic circuit and IP networking equipment problems. This includes monitoring and clearing of alarms from fault management systems while documenting work in trouble ticket applications.
- Ability to provision on multiple network equipment including but not limited to Cyan, Brocade, Telco Systems, Accedian, Nokia, and product lines.
- Work with NebraskaLink staff and vendors to troubleshoot IT systems and programs.
- Assist with installation and configuration of network and other IT equipment including servers, routers, switches, computers, monitors, and printers.
- Understanding of Layer 3, BGP, and OSPF routing protocols.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and backup procedures on various pieces of network equipment.
- Participate in an on-call rotation, work during scheduled maintenance windows and during network outages as needed.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting possible NebraskaLink capacity/network issues.
- Works with Director of Operations and Engineering Manager to provide 1, 3 & 5-year network plans.
- Performs other functions and duties as may be directed or assigned.
- Effective communicator – written and verbal
- Independent with good judgement
- Effective at multi-tasking
- Strong customer facing trouble resolution and problem-solving skills
- Two-year technical degree in telecommunications or related field required. Experience in related area may replace educational requirements.
- Understanding of DWDM technology required.
- Understanding of LAN/WAN networks required.
- Possess knowledge of IP Protocol, routing, switching, network management, and security.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products.
Indoor work with limited exposure to outdoor elements.
Lifting of up to 75 lbs. occasionally.
Some work and meetings completed outside normal business hours.
NebraskaLink is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply email: firstname.lastname@example.org