OSP Field Technician position is responsible for service deployment and trouble resolution for a wide range of telecommunications and data services deployed by Otelco. Otelco values prior experience, but also provides extensive on the job training in the various technologies and techniques used in the field. This position is a great fit for individuals who love to work on modern technology, like to work independently and on the road, and are willing and interested in learning new things.
• Participation in an on-call rotation.
• Hosted PBX solution installation, repair, troubleshooting
• Fiber To The Home (FTTH) installation, repair, troubleshooting
• Copper loop installation, repair, troubleshooting
• Installation, maintenance, and fault resolution of telephone lines, cables, subscriber carrier systems, terminal, protection devices
• Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL) and customer-owned equipment
• Diagnose and repair voice frequency repeaters, loop extenders, and cable loading systems.
• Placing and maintaining cable within underground conduit systems as well as direct buried cable using plowing, digging, and trenching equipment.
• Installing and removing aerial cable, including installation of messenger strands and transfer of cable and equipment from old poles to new poles.
• Sets poles using a line truck and digging and bracing equipment.
• Install Central Office feeder and distribution cable.
• Conduct customer site surveys and network assessments.
• Splices, terminates, and maintains copper and fiber optic cable.
• Verify cable counts and prepares groups of pairs for splicing.
• Transfer service from new or existing cable plant to other cable plant as required by Engineering.
• Completes in detail all required Outside Plant related forms and reports.
• Will perform all OSP/dig safe related duties as assigned by management as time and training permits.
• Must have a valid driver’s license. A valid Class B CDL driver’s license is a plus.
• Must always perform tasks within required workplace safety practices.
• Must communicate well, both verbally and in writing with individuals, both internal and external to the Company.
• Responsible for familiarization and operation of all company supplied test gear and safety practices.
• Ability to communicate and present self in a personable and professional manner.
• Must possess ability to multitask and manage multiple projects and assigned tasks to completion in an organized and efficient manner.
• Ability to work independently or effectively in a team environment.
• Will need to perform administrative tasks such as record keeping and documentation with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to work in different environments including inside, outside, inclement weather, attic, crawlspaces, new construction, existing work environment and on a ladder.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience with IP telephony systems preferred
• IP LAN/WAN experience or equivalent training or certification preferred.
• 3+ years of Telecom networks or OS plant experience is preferred
• Knowledge of Outside Plant line construction process is preferred
• Must be proficient and demonstrate a familiarity working with and configuring computers, PCs, laptops, and other portable electronic devices.
• Experience or ability to be trained to configure and support customer routers.
• Must possess a basic understanding of electrical theory and concepts.
• Must be able to analyze and solve problems and perform effective troubleshooting.
• Preferable consideration will be given for CCNA certification, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or former IT/IS experience.
• Prior knowledge of Outside Plant fiber and copper operations and maintenance preferred.
• Knowledge of state and federal safety regulations.
• Ability to use service equipment including but not limited to cable reel trailers, marking materials, pedestals, aerial cable terminals, splicing materials, test equipment, and hand tools.
• Ability to safely and skillfully operate tools, vehicles and construction equipment.
• Ability to read and interpret cable records, maps, staking sheets, circuit diagrams, CAD drawings, Google Earth Pro, and operating/maintenance manuals.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as cable and network schematics and diagrams.
• Good working knowledge of Otelco products and services.
• Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions.
• Ability to communicate while effectively functioning as an Otelco team player.
• Ability to pay close attention to detail and react to that detail accordingly.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma and training or work experience in and outside plant telephony voice and data practices. Associates Degree in computer technology or other technology focus is a plus.