An OSP Technician I performs install and repair of Voice, Broadband, and Cable TV services for residential and business customers. Locates existing underground cable as needed for contractors or excavators.
Essential Job Functions:
• Install new services and equipment for customers by installing drop wires, station protections and network interface devices. Wires new systems using appropriate tools.
• Wires copper and fiber lines on distribution frames as required for new services.
• Maintains and repairs existing plant and equipment by using test sets to locate line trouble. Determines necessary repairs, which may include repairing wiring, station protectors, ground connections, running new wires and replacing jacks, lids and pedestals as needed.
• Work repair and installation order queues in the B/OSS system.
• Completes all installation and repair-related forms and reports.
• Locates existing underground cables as needed for contractors or excavators.
• May confer with customers to further determine problems and acceptable resolutions.
• May assist in installation and maintenance of key systems and associated equipment including automatic answering devices, facsimile terminals, coupling devices, automatic dialers, and paging and intercom systems.
• Maintain equipment and plant facilities to ensure reliable Voice, Broadband, and Cable TV services for customers.
• Attend and participate in job safety and other training programs.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned by Management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of basic electronics, specification sheets, and circuit diagrams.
• Knowledge of telecommunications outside plant equipment operations and maintenance.
• Knowledge of Company products and services.
• Knowledge of Company policies and procedures.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of Company plant records and billing system software.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of telecommunications outside plant including copper and fiber.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of DSL and HFC/RF technologies.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of Personal Computers and Customer Premise Equipment.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of cable counts and color-code.
• Skill in operating service equipment including various hand tools and testing equipment.
• Ability to install and repair Voice equipment on customer drop and customer premise.
• Ability to install and repair Broadband equipment on customer drop and customer premise.
• Ability to install and repair Cable TV equipment on customer drop and customer premise.
• Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets, and operating and maintenance instruction manuals.
• Ability to pay close attention to detail.
• Ability to evaluate, test and repair sophisticated equipment.
• Ability to improve or redesign procedures for specific installation/repair problems.
• Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.
• Must live in Golden West Exchange.
Education and/or Experience:
• Associate’s Degree in Telecommunications or Networking, or equivalent work experience.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
• Must have, or be able to obtain, and maintain a valid South Dakota driver’s license, have an excellent driving record and be insurable under the Company’s policy carrier.