The Wireline Outside Plant Operations Manager plans, directs and manages the activities within Pine Belt’s wireline local exchange carrier (LEC) divisions, both ILEC and CLEC. The Wireline Outside Plant Operations Manager provides professional telecommunications leadership and support; coordinates activities with other departments, vendors, contractors and government agencies; and provides telecommunications knowledge and expertise in support of Pine Belt’s overall mission. The position reports directly to the company president.
The Wireline Outside Plant Operations Manager must research, assess, recommend and implement leading edge telecommunications facilities. The broad goal of the position is to ensure that the LEC network efficiently evolves along with the industry in which it operates and in doing so, it contributes to the delivery of the highest quality services possible in the most reliable and efficient manner.
1. Plans, directs, coordinates and reviews the work of all wireline outside plant telecommunications staff; assigns work activities and projects; reviews and evaluates work, methods, processes and procedures; works with staff to identify problems and determine appropriate action plans.
2. Takes responsibility for timely response and prompt resolution of LEC customer trouble tickets through assessing problem and directing needed staff and resources toward the problem and supervising resolution activities.
3. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within corporate policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
4. Develops and maintains network disaster recovery plans and procedures.
5. Selects, trains, develops and evaluates all outside plant telecommunications technicians and administrative staff; provides or coordinates staff training; provides evaluation and coaching of all department employees to improve performance; implements progressive discipline on an as needed basis.
6. Maintains and controls all telecommunications plant materials inventory and equipment;
7. Provides oversight of Pine Belt’s fleet of service vehicles.
8. Supervises and monitors the work of vendors, contractors and consultants.
9. Responds to wireline “Can We Serve?” requests from sales, marketing and customer service; determines where services can be provided and estimates costs for those determined serviceable.
10. Attends and participates in professional association meetings; maintains knowledge and awareness of new trends and developments in the field of IP, Fiber Optic and Internet telecommunications engineering; recommends incorporating new developments into plant operations where appropriate.
11. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 7 years of relevant experience preferred. Applicants with less than a bachelor’s degree should have at least 12 years of work related experience.
Minimum of 5 years, in either case, in a supervisory/management capacity is desired.
2. Working knowledge of GIS mapping systems with NISC’s iVue software platform, including the MapWise module, being a major plus.
3. Strong capabilities in analytical problem solving are required.
4. The job will require occasional lifting of up to 100 pounds.
5. Operating knowledge skills of cable plow, backhoe, front end loader, bucket truck and similar equipment is critical.
6. Strong verbal and written communications skills are a requirement.
7. Functional understanding of IP networking, VoIP (SIP and MGCP) and FTTx and fiber transport technologies are essential.
Pine Belt is a state-of the art telecommunication company serving west central Alabama. We started as a telephone company in 1958, but as the telecommunication industry has changed over the years, we’ve changed with it – expanding to include a variety of innovative services that connect our communities to the world. Through our family of operating companies we provide a full spectrum of wired and wireless telecommunications services including but not limited to xDSL, FTTx, long haul fiber, HFC cable TV, broadband internet access, mobile and fixed wireless services. What hasn’t changed is our commitment to providing the highest quality services at fair and affordable rates, while generously supporting our hometown. We offer a stable, family oriented work environment with an attractive salary and comprehensive benefit package.